Frequently Asked Questions

Study Funding

What type of study funding can I get?

There are three types of study funding, namely scholarship, bursary and study loan. Read more.

What is NSFAS and who qualifies to apply for the NSFAS?

NSFAS is the South African government student loan and bursary scheme meant for the South African students studying or intending to study at government academic institutions. Read more

Where can I find more information about NSFAS?

To know more about NSFAS visit:  or call 0860 067 327 or send email to:

Does the Department of Higher Education and Training offer any financial assistance to study at private Colleges and private Universities?


Where can I get bursaries to study BEd

The Funza Lushaka Bursary Programme is a teaching bursary. The bursary is available to South African citizens who have been accepted into a recognized and accredited higher education institution who have a valid South African ID who intent to study a teaching qualification (Bachelor of Education). The applicant must meet the Funza Lushaka selection criteria as well in order to be eligible. To find out more click here.

Does the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) offer Scholarships for Studying Abroad?

The DHET receives different international scholarships from partner countries such as Russia, Chile, China and European Union. Please be informed that these offers come with different requirements and fields of study. Read more

Where can I get bursaries for Social Work?

As part of addressing the critical and scarce skills in the sector the Department of Social Development makes available a scholarship in the field of social work. The scholarship will cover registration, tuition, prescribed books, stipend for the practical’s and official accommodation provided by the university. 

Who can apply and how?

  • Individuals currently in grade 12 or have completed grade 12 and current first year students in Social Work
  • Comply with the entry requirements of the university
  • Must be able to complete the qualification within the minimum period as prescribed by the university
  • Complete an application form accessible form the provincial DSD

To find out more click here

Internship, Learnership and Apprenticeship

What is the difference between Internship, Learnership and Apprenticeship?


An internship is on the job training for an individual with a qualification looking to gain experience relevant to what they studied or wish to do in future as a career.


An apprenticeship combines theory, practical work and workplace practice in a chosen trade field, and in the case of a listed trade ends in a trade test and an artisan certificate of competence.


A learnership is a vocational education and training programme that facilitates the linkage between structured learning and work experience in order to obtain a registered qualification.

It combines theory and workplace practice into a qualification that is registered on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF). A learnership usually constitutes 120 credits or 1200 "notional" hours of learning.

Where can I apply for Learnerships, Internships and Apprenticeships?

Opportunities such as these are usually advertised on national and local newspapers, companies’ website, social media, radio stations etc.

These opportunities are also sourced and published on our website to apply for internship, learnership or apprenticeship opportunities click here.

Private Colleges and Private Universities

What is a bogus institution?

Bogus institutions which are also known as “fly-by-night’’ or “unregistered institutions’’ are institutions that are not registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training to offer post school qualifications as required by law. The institutions may not have accreditation by the quality councils for the courses they offer. This means that such institutions are operating illegally.

What exactly does registration mean for institutions of learning?

There are different types of education and training institutions in South Africa.  Public higher education and training institutions are state-funded and established by the Department of Higher Education and Training by means of legislation and because they are established by law, they are deemed to be registered. In accordance with the Higher Education Act (1997), private higher education and training institutions (both Higher Education Institutions and Colleges), of which many provide legitimate and valuable qualifications, are privately funded and are required by law to register with the Department of Higher Education and Training.

The aim of registering private Higher Education Institutions and colleges is to protect the students and the public. The Department hopes to achieve this aim by registering or licensing private institutions that:

  • Offer qualifications that are registered on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF),
  • Have the capacity, resources and expertise to offer quality education and training,
  • Offer programmes that comply with the quality assurance requirements and criteria and
  • Adheres to ethical business practices

Registration as an institution simply means you have the legal authority or license granted by the Director General, as the Registrar of Private institutions of learning, to a private Higher Education Institution or College to offer training.

What should learners know before enrolling to study at private institutions?

Before you register for any qualification, it is crucial to ensure that you fully understand both the registration and accreditation status of the institution you want to study with. Registration and accreditation are two different procedures and have different implications.

How do I know that I am applying to a registered college/university?

You can check the DHET website for the registered colleges or universities at this link.

If you do not have access to internet you can call us (Career Development Services) at 086 999 0123 or email us at

What constitutes a valid proof of registration of a private college with the DHET?

Only a certificate of registration or provisional registration signed by the Director-General of the Department of Higher Education and Training is a valid proof of registration. The certificate of registration will indicate the college’s legal name, the registration number and the approved/ accredited qualifications it can offer.

How can the public determine the validity of qualifications obtained from a private college?

The validity of the qualifications or certificates from private colleges can be established by contacting the DHET at 080 087 2222 or sending an email to this email address: The details of the registration status of private colleges are also available on the Department’s website. The address is

What are the requirements for registering private institutions?

For a college to be registered, it must provide documentary proof that it complies with the following requirements:

a. Accreditation report issued by Umalusi

b. Occupational health and safety report

c. Audited annual financial statements

d. Financial surety

e. Income tax certificate

How do learners check if an institution is legitimate?

You can ask at the institution they intend to study with for proof or registration or ask for their registration number or accreditation number. If the institution is registered it will have a certificate with a registration number clearly showing that they are registered with the Department. However; obtaining this information from the institution only is not enough, learners should then verify this information by checking the DHET register of private institutions on the DHET website ( or contact DHET call center on 0800 872 222:There are three registers:

  • Accredited Skills Development Providers
  • Register of Private Colleges
  • Register of Private Higher Education Institutions

Alternatively; contact Career Development Services Helpline for further assistance (call 086 999 0123, or email or SMS 072 204 5056).

What can one do when they find out that they are studying at an unregistered institution or that their qualification is not accredited?

You must call the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) call center on 0800 872 222 to find out what the procedure should be thereafter.

If it turns out that your qualification is in fact not legitimate, de-register immediately and ask for a refund. Inform the Department of Higher Education and Training, the Quality Councils, Sector Education and Training Authority (SETA’s) and the South African Police Service (SAPS) immediately about the institution operating illegally. 

Technical and Vocational Education and Training Colleges

What are the entry requirements for the TVET Colleges?

Grade 9 pass or Grade 12 certificate

NQF Level 1 qualification

An approved bridging programme designed for access to NQF Level 2.

Recognition of Prior Learning Assessment (RPL).

What is a National Certificate Vocational (NCV) qualification?

A full year programme of study that enables students to apply for jobs.

What are Nated (N) courses?

The N Programmes focus on developing artisans. They are offered in N1 to N3 Engineering programmes and N4 to N6 in areas of Agriculture, Art and Music, Business studies, Social Services, Utility Studies and Engineering.

How do I register to study at a TVET college?

You need to go to the information desk of the TVET college of your interest where you will be guided in terms of where you need to go and what you need to do.

I have applied at a TVET/University of Technology/University and have not gotten feedback, what should I do?

Normally universities have a specific period after which they respond to the applicants stating whether they have been granted a space or not. You need to either check the institution’s online application system or contact the institution to enquire. Read more.


Where do I verify my university qualification if I want to work overseas?

Verification of qualifications for the purpose of overseas jobs is done at DHET at this address: 123 Frances Baard Street (former Schoeman Street) in Pretoria. It is at the corner of Sophie De Bruyn (former Schubbart Street) and Frances Baard Street (former Schoeman Street).

By courier: Documents to be authenticated/verified can be send to The Department of Higher Education and Training, 123 Frances Baard Street, Pretoria, 0002 Att: Boitumelo Choenyane or Faith Sehoa.

Contacts for authentication of certificates are 012 312 5246/5358, Room 544 Floor 5.


Where can I upgrade my matric results incase I did not obtain the results I wanted?

Matric rewrite can be done at the high school where you had written your matric or through private accredited institutions. If you do not know where these institutions are contact the Department of Basic Education on 012 357 3000 or visit their website

NYDA also offers the matric rewrite programme and have the branches that you can contact. Read more

When is the closing date for Supplementary Examinations?

The closing date for supplementary exams is 21 days after the results have been released. You can register at your school or Provincial Department of Education.

Where can I apply for exemption?

One can apply for exemption at the Universities South Africa

How does one access past question papers and memos?

Past matric question papers and memos can be accessed at link

I am not sure what to study

I am not sure what to study, please help?

Choosing what to study starts with choosing a career. You need to know yourself very well when choosing a career, know your likes and dislikes and your personality. To help you with this is a collection of resource readily available on the National Careers Portal: read more.

Job Search

How do I Search for a job?

There are different factors to consider when you are looking for a job, you need to look at your skills, your CV, the kind of jobs you are interested in, interview skills, etc. You can search for a job by searching on job sites, newspapers or the government Circular.

How do I write a C.V?

  • A CV is a document that accurately records your personal data, education history, work history and so forth. You will submit your CV to employment agencies, and employers together with a cover letter when applying for a job. An employer may refer to your CV in an interview situation so keep your CV up-to-date and accurate.
  • Create a CV that has clear headings and is easy to read
  • Use the cover letter as a marketing tool by referring to your strengths highlighted in your CV
  • Update your CV regularly as you grow and get experience over time
  • Use techniques to make your CV stand out from the rest. Read more

The key is to make your CV clear, concise and easy to read, i.e. take out all unnecessary detail, like photographs and unrelated information, that could bore or irritate the interviewer. It should be up to date and accurate and you should know your own CV well if questioned.

What needs to be included in my C.V?

  • Personal details (name, surname, date of birth, citizenship, marital status, physical address, email address, contact numbers, drivers license code, etc)
  • Educational information (from grade 12 to your highest qualification).
  • Language skills.
  • Computer skills.
  • Employment history (start with the current job)
  • References.

How do I become a Police Officer?
To become a Police Officer one must be on the look-out for enlistment opportunities in Basic Police Development Learning Programme which is normally advertised on the national newspapers, SAPS website, local police stations and community libraries.

Applicants must complete application form in their own handwriting.
The application forms are obtainable (for free) at the nearest SAPS Recruitment Office or Human Resource Official at local Police Station.

The following certified documents must accompany the application form:
• SA ID Document
• Driver’s licence
• Matric/Senior Certificate (Grade 12 Certificate or equivalent qualification)
• Additional qualifications and academic records
• Proof of residence


The training consists of 10 months of academy phase at SAPS Academy, 12 months of Field Police Development phase and 2 months of Police integrated assessment at the SAPS academy. Read more

How do I become a nurse?

There are three ways to qualify as a Registered Nurse and apply for entry level nursing positions. They are as follows:

  • South Africa has three entry levels for nurses:
  • A four-year comprehensive Diploma or B degree, leading to registration as a general nurse, midwife, community health nurse and psychiatric nurse;
  • A two-year certificate leading to enrollment as a nurse, who can work under supervision of a registered nurse;
  • A one-year certificate leading to enrollment as a nursing auxiliary.

Read more

What is an artisan?

Artisans are people who usually work with their hands making items that may be functional or decorative, e.g. furniture, tools or machines such as the handmade devices of a watchmaker. Artisans are highly skilled, trained and tested and qualified in the field of artisanship. There are different types of Artisan courses and they qualify you into different industries, ranging from food industry, hair, engineering, construction, etc.

What is an artisan?

Artisans are people who usually work with their hands making items that may be functional or decorative, e.g. furniture, tools or machines such as the handmade devices of a watchmaker. Artisans are highly skilled, trained and tested and qualified in the field of artisanship. There are different types of Artisan courses and they qualify you into different industries, ranging from food industry, hair, engineering, construction, etc

How do i become a qualified artisan?

The Department of Higher Education & Training has set out the ‘Seven steps to become a qualified artisan" in South Africa in support of the National Programme for Artisan Development.

  1. Career guidance and management
  2. General or vocational / fundamental knowledge learning
  3. Learner agreement registration and contracting
  4. Occupational knowledge and practical learning
  5. Workplace learning
  6. Trade testing and recognition of prior learning
  7. Assurance and certification

How do I become a boilermaker

Boilermakers are highly skilled construction workers who specialize in the making, installation and repair of boilers, high pressure vats, tanks and other large vessels that contain chemicals, gases, water or other fluids. They manufacture and build structures of steel plates.


Who Can Become a Boilermaker?

Anyone above 16 years of age and above
Anyone with a minimum of grade 9

How do I become a Boilermaker?

1. TVET route
You can register for a National Certificate Vocational (NCV) in Engineering and Related Design and obtain an N3 certificate in Mechanical Engineering at a TVET college.
This certificate makes you eligible to apply for a job in automotive maintenance and repair, general manufacturing engineering and general maintenance engineering industries.

2. Apprenticeship Route
You can obtain an apprenticeship where you will get practical and theoretic training. Then at the end of your training you will have to do a trade test monitored by MERSETA.

3. University/University of Technology Route
You can obtain a National Diploma in Mechanical Engineering that makes you eligible to apply for a boilermaker job and many other related jobs.

It is important to ensure that you are trained by an accredited provider, you need to contact MERSETA at:
merSETA House 95 7th Avenue
Cnr Rustenburg Road
OR Tel: 010 219 3000
OR go to their website for more information

Our Partners

To become our partner, a formal agreement in the form of a Memorandum of Agreement or Implementation Protocol with DHET Career Development Services is required. For more information click here.